Mimosa – Part II

Instead of sewing the Marfy jacket, I got side-tracked with the Mimosa pattern and made a second version.
This time, however, I made some changes. I wanted the blouse to be more fitted, so I added darts to the front and back and took it in in the waist. In order to be able to put it on, I added a button placket. I did not make the tie, as I felt this would be too much.
The fabric is a linnen. I underlined it with cotton batiste to add opacity and give the linnen a bit more stability. The button placket is interfaced with silk organza. The side seams are finished with Hong-Kong finish. I also bound the armscye seams. Here are some views of the inside:



Before I changed the pattern, I put the original blouse on my dress form and pinned the darts. I measured the length and depth of the darts and transferred these measurements onto the paper pattern. I cut the fabric and basted it together. The fit was really good. I only had to pinch out some excess fabric at the side below the armholes. This is the first time that I altered a pattern beyond fitting issues, and I am quite happy that this experiment turned out so well. This will be my entry for the Sewing Indie Month “Pattern hacking” category.

Here is how my pattern looked like after changing:


As it was such a lovely day today, we went to the river side and took some pictures of me wearing my new Mimosa blouse:




I really like the colors of this picture. You do not often have this blue sky in Hamburg.


Me, looking at the boats.


This entry was posted in blouse, indie pattern and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s