Earlier this year Leisa from “A Challenging Sew” has started a Marfy Free Pattern sew-along. For those who don’t know: Marfy is an italian pattern company. They have marvelous patterns which come already cut out, but without instructions. I learned about Marfy last year and always wanted to try a pattern, but was a bit afraid. So the sew-along from Leisa is a great opportunity to test a pattern. The free patterns are for download on the Marfy website and consist of a jacket, a skirt and a blouse:
Leisa does not only show how to construct these garments, but also different techniques and pattern alterations.
Blouse and skirt sew-along are already completed, the jacket sew-along will start next week.
This is my version so far:
The skirt is a rather simple A-line skirt with slits at the side seams. I used a fabric that was in my stash for over 10 years. I think it is cotton, but do not know for certain. I have enough fabric left, so that I can also make the jacket out of it. The skirt is underlined with silk organza and lined with Cupro. I used linen as interfacing for the skirt facing and sewed it in several rows to the fashion fabric so that it would not stretch. This is the facing before the lining was attached:
The blouse has an interesting detail on the back. The slit is constructed like a dart.
I folded the raw edges under the seam allowances and handstitched them to the blouse. I did the same for the side seams, only picking one thread of the fabric:
You really do not see any stitches on the outside! And it keeps the seam flexible. This was important for me, as my fabric was lightweight, but a little stiff. This is why I did not use French seams. For the collar I used silk organza as interfacing.
I have worn the skirt already a few times, it is an easy to go piece and very comfy. For the blouse it was still too cold here, but I think it will be great during hot summer days in the office.