Itch to Stitch: Davina Dress in Red and Blue

By now you can say that I have become an Itch to Stitch addict. When Kennis announced her new pattern and called for testers, I had to sign up. This dress has everthing I like: Fitted bodice, flared skirt, pockets. And it is for knit fabrics, so fitting issues are reduced and it will be comfy to wear. What more could you want?



The fabric is a rayon/spandex. I tried to match the print as best as possible. Both center front and center back seam are curved, so a 100% match is not possible, but I tried to keep the rows at the same level.


I lenghtened the shoulder by 2 cm. This is the same alteration I made for the Idyllwild Top. I also lenghtened the skirt of the red dress about 10 cm. I find it is a more balanced look with the 3/4 sleeves.

Construction Notes:

I followed the instructions which are very clear and detailed as always. As the body is fully lined I used a lightning stitch for the seams. All seams of the skirt are serged. For the hem of both sleeves and skirt I used a zigzag stitch just because I was short on thread.

I also made a second version. Actually, this was my muslin, but then I liked it so much, that I finished it.


2015-09-11-Davina8The waist is a bit higher on this version. I did not change anything in the pattern, this is just due to the diffferent fabrics. The skirt of the red version is much heavier and pulls the whole dress down. I like both looks, but the blue dress is more like the pattern is intended to look. I added a side zipper as the fabric has not a lot of stretch. In the end, it would not have been necessary. I also lined the skirt to add some opacity. I stitched in the ditch of the bottom of the waistband to add a bit stability and to join the lining to the outer fabric. At least, I tried. Despite pinning the fabric shifted a lot and the inside looks quite messy. I think I should have basted this before sewing. My attempt at sewing the lining to the zipper with the machine was also not very successful. In the end I sewed the skirt lining to the zipper tape by hand. So much neater and without cursing.

For the hem I used the “rolled hem” settings of my serger. I love the wavy effect.

No print matching for this dress, as I was short on fabric.



I love this dress. It is easy to sew and so comfy to wear. With the different sleeve variations and skirt length it can look quite different. I already have an amazing dark red wool knit to make a version for fall/winter.

This was my last summer sewing. Last week we spend on the island Usedom in the north east of Germany. We had a really nice weather and is was still quite warm. But now fall is already here with chilly mornings and a lot of rain. I have already made some sewing plans and started the next knitting project, a warm woolly cardigan.

Are you still sewing for summer, or do you already make plans for fall/winter?



This entry was posted in dresses, Itch to Stitch, pattern tester and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Itch to Stitch: Davina Dress in Red and Blue

  1. Angela says:

    I hadn’t heard of that company but love your dress, so I’m heading over to take a look.

  2. Very pretty dresses! I don’t sew for summer or winter. I just get my eye on something and add it to my list to be done someday. Unless there is something I need right away!

  3. sewbussted says:

    If only all muslins turned out so well. The pattern matching isn’t even an issue as the pattern is so busy. The fit is so spot on. Enjoy your beautiful makes 🙂

  4. Muse says:

    Great result, especially love the blue fabric

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s